Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chicken & Rice Casserole For the Win

I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while. Our neighbor brought us this dish while I was recovering and the kids went nuts over it and pleaded that I get the recipe. I made it a handful of times and the kids still love it. I also paid it forward to a neighbor when she recently had her baby and she said all her kids loved it and so I passed the recipe on to her. Now I'm making it public. You're welcome.

1 to 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 boxes Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (quick-cooking)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped onion

Cook rice according to package directions. The directions say to use just less than three cups water if you're using two boxes. But I add three cups and I upped the chicken broth amount in the original recipe from 1/2 to 1 cup because otherwise it dries out too much in the oven. 
Once the rice is cooked, stir in all the other ingredients. Transfer to a 9x13 [or so] baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 for 45-50 minutes. If you like, you can sprinkle something crunchy over the top [like crumbled Ritz crackers] before it goes in the oven.

No comments: